Friday, June 7, 2013

Coconut, Sultana & Lemon Loaf

Now that I've got a child mornings are especially hectic. My partner and I rush around getting our daughter sorted, coffee brewed (big priority in our household) and attempt to get him out the door at a reasonable time. Most of the time my breakfast takes a back seat to everything else. This coconut, sultana and lemon loaf is a great breakfast solution for me. It can be eaten with one hand while standing up.

It's lightly sweet so is delicious with my cup of coffee and rich enough with the good fats from the almond flour and coconut to give me a bit of distance.

I found the original recipe on a South African paleo food blog and wrote it down. I haven't been able to find the site again to credit it here. The original recipe used only desiccated coconut as the "flour". I prefer a 50/50 mixture of coconut and almond flour and I added sultanas, lemon zest and a little spicy warmth in the form of cinnamon and nutmeg. The result was much more me.

I have two thick slices of this plain or spread with home made roasted almond butter. Having a breakfast of all home made elements is a lovely way to start the day.

This loaf is a great snack any time of the day though. One you can feel good about too. It's gluten free and uses just two tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten the whole loaf .

Coconut, sultana & lemon loaf
1 1/2 cups ground almonds
1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
2 Tbsp maple syrup
5 free range eggs
1/2 cup sultanas
1 tsp vanilla essence
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 140 degrees.

Use an electric mixer to beat together the eggs, vanilla and maple syrup.

Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder. Beat to combine.

Add the remaining dry ingredients and the sultanas.

The batter should be very stiff.

Spoon the batter into a loaf tin lined with baking paper. Use a spoon to smooth the top of the mixture.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Until a skewer comes out clean.

Leave the loaf to cool entirely before slicing.

(Gluten and refined sugar free)







No comments:

Post a Comment